Thursday, October 21, 2010

Open Post: Thoughts for Today


I just watched “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” for the first time and it kicked my ass. It was a pleasant ass-kicking however.  It left a very unique taste in my brain; a flavor kind of like the way a city smells after rain, that earthy, cold, wet-cement smell that's neither good nor bad.  F.Y.I., that was me blatantly trying to be poetic. I promise I'll limit myself to doing that once per post.  I knew it wasn’t going to be Ace Ventura Pet Detective, but I really didn’t expect to be mentally schooled by a movie starring Jim Carey.  Anyhoo, you can imagine after playing a few rounds of Madden 2011 and eating a nice, humble mexican meal how sobering that movie can be (given you’ve seen it).  If you haven’t seen it I highly recommend it.  It’s kind of funny how I inadvertently pulled an emotional 180 on myself.  

Anyways, speaking of Mexican meals, that reminds about a yahoo home page story about the new chief of police in Guadalupe, Mexico a town near drug cartel capital Juarez.  After a series of murders and assassinations of police officials and mayors in recent years, the town had only one applicant for the job: Marisol Valles Garcia.  She is a 20 year old criminology major still in college. Wow

First of all, to have applied as chief of police in a town where the Mexican drug cartel openly admits to “tightening their grasp on the country” is the most gangster thing I have ever heard of.  Secondly, to be a female college student and undertake this responsibility is amazing.  Deeming it “admirable” would be an insult to her.  This is like the ultimate act of standing up to a bully.  Except in this case, the bully is a well organized, well funded, and vicious international drug operation.  Good luck Marisol, we’re rooting for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment