I feel the old customs of standardized testing are dated and ineffective. Times are changing so why shouldn't the grad school system of aptitude testing change as well? The new college graduate is computer savvy, well-spoken, and nothing like the old world breed of graduate school applicants. We are adept problem solvers and masters of technology.
I realize that to change entire formulas of standardized tests is impractical and unrealistic. So, I propose the various boards take baby steps. For example, and specific to my scenario, the DAT (Dental Aptitude Test) is a standardized test of 4 sections. One of these sections is a perceptual test that gauges the applicants ability to visualize 3D images and solve puzzles. The conventional test has a bunch of ridiculously shaped objects and holes and the test takers must match the correct silhouette to the original shape. I propose that each testing station be assigned a classic 1989 original Game Boy and a copy of Tetris. Everybody would have 30 minutes to score as high as possible. It tests the visual and mental capabilities of the test takers and their ability to perform under pressure. Strategy and manual dexterity will never have been so accurately tested. The other sections regarding natural sciences, reading comprehension, and quantitative reason may stay the same for the time being, but to see action taken towards revising various portions of the test would be a vast improvement and reassurance that the institution of standardized tests is keeping up with the evolving student.
No comments:
Post a Comment